Shakshuka is a popular breakfast dish in the Middle East and North Africa. It’s definitely one of my favourite breakfasts 😍
I love that this recipe can be made in only 15 minutes!
- 4 eggs (preferably organic, pasture-raised)
- 1 can (400 grams) chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- A pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- A handful of coriander leaves (chopped)
- Heat the olive or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cumin, paprika, turmeric, sea salt & pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low. Carefully crack eggs into the skillet over tomato sauce and cover with a lid (leaving an opening for excess water to evaporate). Cook for another 5 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle red chili flakes and coriander.
- Serve with a slice of your favourite gluten free or sourdough bread.