The packaged protein bars you find at supermarkets tend to have tons of sugar and all kinds of ingredients that we don’t even know what they are. This is why I prefer to make my own bars, using only REAL food. Here is the recipe for healthy vegan chocolate protein bars.
Chocolate Protein Bars
- ½ cup good-quality vegan protein powder (preferably chocolate flavour)
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup coconut powder (desiccated coconut)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 60 grams 70% dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 dates (pitted and soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180º C or 350º F and line a tin with baking paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drain the dates and add them to a food processor (or blender) with the rest of the wet ingredients. Blend for a few minutes. Once it is well combined, add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the tin and press down firmly to make sure it binds together. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then slice into squares.