With so many fad diets and contradicting nutrition theories out there, you might be very confused about what to eat in order to lose weight and get healthier. My advice to you is ignore all of the latest fad diets and practice mindful eating.
Learn to listen to your body. If you really pay attention, your body knows more than you think. Your body will let you know which foods are good for you and which foods are not. You just need to become really aware of what is happening in your body.
You might say “then I will just have french fries and dessert for every meal, for the rest of my life”. The truth is that once you start eating mindfully, you will notice what your body really wants. And the majority of the time your body wants foods that are good for you because they make you feel great.
Here are a few tips to practice mindful eating
- Sit down to eat
- Avoid distractions (TV, phone, magazines) while eating
- Take a few breaths before each meal
- Chew your food properly
- Put your fork down between each bite
- Devote your full attention to your food (its flavor, aroma, texture, temperature, etc)
- Appreciate the food in front of you and focus on what exactly it’s doing for your body
If you have a history of yoyo dieting, eating mindfully is one of the most liberating things you can do. It’s been great for me and has really helped me heal my relationship with food.
Try these tips to practice mindful eating and let me know how you feel. Write a comment below or send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you!