These chocolate cupcakes are gluten-free, dairy-free, naturally sweetened, and full of delicious, chocolate flavour. I made them for my partner’s birthday and they turned out delicious!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 60 grams dark chocolate (melted)
- 1 tbsp almond milk (cold)
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C or 350°F. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- Combine the almond flour, oat flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut sugar, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine completely.
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. To test if they're ready, insert a toothpick. If there are tiny pieces of cake or chocolate attached to the toothpick, the cupcakes are ready! Don't wait until the toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, place the melted chocolate in a small bowl and whisk in the cold almond milk and maple syrup until smooth. Stir in an additional 1/2-1 tbsp cold almond milk if needed.
- Spread the chocolate frosting over the cupcakes (once they've cooled down).