This roasted tomato soup is full of flavour and easy to make. You’ll never want to buy canned or boxed tomato soup again!
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 10-12 large roma or plum tomatoes (cut in quarters)
- 1 medium white onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- A handful of fresh basil leaves (for garnishing)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C or 425°F. Place quartered tomatoes on a lined baking tray (skin down) with 4 peeled garlic cloves. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil in a soup pot. Add the chopped onion and sauté over medium-low heat for about 6 minutes. Then add oregano, stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth and coconut milk. Cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes (or until the tomatoes are ready).
- Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, add them to the soup pot. Add sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Remove mixture from the heat let it cool down for a few minutes. Transfer to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend using a hand blender. Use whatever it's easily available.
- After blending, transfer back to the soup pot and allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh basil. Enjoy!