This vegan pumpkin soup is a great addition to your holiday menu.
You can make it in advance because it tastes even better the next day!
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
This vegan pumpkin soup is a great addition to your holiday menu. You can make it in advance because it tastes even better the next day!
- 2 pumpkins (about 1.8 kgs/4 lbs)
- 2 small shallots (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 3 cups filtered water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 220°C or 425°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the pumpkins in half through the center and scoop out the seeds and strings. Reserve the seeds. Slice each pumpkin halve in half to make quarters. Drizzle the pumpkin flesh with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Place pumpkin on the lined baking tray. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the orange flesh is easily pierced through with a fork.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil in a soup pot. Add the chopped garlic and shallots and sauté over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes. Then add chopped carrot, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Once pumpkins are done roasting, peel the skin off and discard. Add the pumpkin flesh, water, coconut milk, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast the pumpkin seeds in a medium frypan over medium-low heat, stirring them frequently, until they're golden. They should be toasted, but not burnt. Set them aside to cool down.
- Remove mixture from the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes. Transfer to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend using a hand blender. Use whatever it's easily available.
- After blending, transfer back to the soup pot and allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the toasted pumpkin seeds and enjoy!