These healthy lentils are easy-to-make, delicious and inexpensive. Lentils are loaded with protein, good carbs and fiber. They’re also filling and satisfying. I love eating this dish with half an avocado – definitely recommend it.
Lentils With Potatoes
- 1½ tbsp avocado oil
- ½ white or yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped, or pressed)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 250 grams green lentils (drained, after soaking in water for a few hours, or overnight)
- 1 medium sized potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¾-1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves and a big pinch of sea salt. Sautee for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are soft.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the garlic, cumin and turmeric. Stir and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently until the garlic and spices are very fragrant.
- Add the chopped potatoes, lentils, vegetable stock, 3/4 tsp of sea salt, and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil (takes about 6 minutes), cover and reduce to a simmer (low heat).
- Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Let it cool slightly, and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Share in the comments below, or send me a message here.