Coconut butternut squash soup is a wholesome, warming soup, perfect for a cozy night at home.
Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 butternut squash (medium size)
- 1 white or brown onion (chopped)
- 1 apple (medium size, peeled and diced)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2½ tsps grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsps curry powder
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch kale
- 3/4 cup cashews
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Cut butternut squash in halves and place halves on a lined baking tray. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until it becomes tender. Scoop out and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive or avocado oil in a soup pot. Add the chopped onion and sauté over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- Add the diced apple, butternut squash, vegetable broth, ginger, curry powder and nutmeg. Bring to a soft boil, then cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat and purée using a hand blender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and return the soup to a gentle simmer. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, heat 1 tbsp of olive or avocado oil in a large skillet. Add the cashews and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems and cut into thin shreds. Stir together with the cashews in the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into each bowl, then garnish with a few spoonfuls of the cashews and kale mixture.
Did you like this soup? Share in the comments below, or send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you!